1. WHY SHOULD AN INSTITUTION CONSIDER JOINING HECSE?
- Membership in the premier organization representing leadership preparation in special education
- Sharing of current special education information
- Networking with IHE’s engaged in doctoral level preparation and research
2. WHAT ARE SOME SPECIFIC BENEFITS OF HECSE MEMBERSHIP
- Provide access to up-to-date information on legislation
- Provide current information on policy and policy development
- Assist with access to decision-makers
- Provide technical assistance regarding communications with special education decision-makers at all levels
- Provide opportunities for professional development
- Provide opportunities to analyze, clarify and provide input on legislative and regulatory language and issues
- Join with colleagues in expressing positions on legislation and policy
- Current information on funding opportunities
- Assist with faculty searches
3. HOW CAN AN INSTITUTION APPLY FOR MEMBERSHIP IN HECSE?
- Contact Membership Director: (See Below)
- Formal written membership application is required and will be provided quickly by the membership chair
- Membership application is reviewed by the board (Click Here to Learn How to Apply)
4. WHAT IS THE CURRENT ANNUAL MEMBERSHIP FEE?
- $ 1,400 per year, due July of each year
5. WHAT IS THE MEMBERSHIP FEE USED FOR?
- Operating expenses
- Meeting costs
- HECSE Consultant
6. WHEN AND WHERE ARE THE ANNUAL MEETINGS HELD?
- Washington, DC
- Thursday-Saturday schedule will include individual visits with legislators as well as meetings on Capitol Hill and at the conference hotel
- Members are responsible for all travel costs
7. WHO TYPICALLY ATTENDS THE ANNUAL MEETING?
- Institutional representative or alternate
- Invited guests/presenters
8. WHAT IS A TYPICAL MEETING AGENDA?
- Update on legislative issues
- Presentations and Q & A with Congressional staffers
- Presentations by OSEP personnel with Q & A
- HECSE Leadership Award presentation
- Business meeting
- Presentation of issues by Consultant and/or HECSE Board with Q & A plus discussion
- Sharing of personnel needs by the institution
- Planning for the future with assigned tasks/ responsibilities
9. ARE THERE OTHER MEETINGS DURING THE YEAR?
- TED Conference in November
- CEC Convention in March/April
- OSEP Project Directors Meeting in July
10. WHAT ABOUT SUMMER RETREATS?
- Occasional opportunities as needs arise
- Focus on topics of special interest
- White paper development
Membership Contact Person
For additional information, contact the Chair of HECSE’s Membership Committee:
CARRIE ANNA COURTAD
Illinois State University
College of Education
5910 Special Education
Normal, IL 61790