Message from the President
The Higher Education Consortium for Special Education (HECSE) is a national organization representing major university programs that prepare personnel for special education leadership roles. HECSE member institutions are committed to effective professional preparation at all levels, whether new teachers, teacher educators, school administrators, field researchers, disability and education advocates, policymakers, and related services professionals.
1. HECSE members are committed to engaging in a variety of ongoing advocacy, teaching research, and service efforts designed to meet two primary goals:
- Appropriate educational opportunities and effective school outcomes for millions of American children and youth with disabilities characterized by:
- High achievement expectations;
Access to the general education curriculum, evidence-based instructional methods, and comprehensive progress monitoring;
- Effective special education services provided by well-prepared and highly-qualified school and community personnel;
- Ongoing and active home-school-community collaboration
2. Support for recruitment, preparation, and retention of special education personnel at all levels (e.g., special education teachers, teacher educators, classroom researchers, program administrators);
I am honored to have this opportunity to serve as the HECSE president. I have seen the outcomes resulting from active participation in state and national advocacy efforts. HECSE consistently demonstrates the important role higher education plays in America’s public education infrastructure. In the public education debate, HECSE is committed to sharing critical information policymakers need regarding current preparation challenges, effective preparation and support for well-qualified personnel, and new knowledge about children and youth with disabilities and their families. In addition, we must provide ideas and innovations in effective ways to design appropriate programs, deliver effective content, and monitor student growth. HECSE works collaboratively with other organizations to ensure better educational opportunities for students with disabilities and effective professional preparation.
As we move into a new year, I would like to take this opportunity to thank Jeff Anderson for his leadership and vision as President of HECSE over the last two years. I also would like to extend sincere thanks to Cynthia Wilson, past president; Jackie Rodriguez, secretary; and Ashley White, HECSE Intern, as they transition off the Board. We are incredibly grateful for their guidance and contributions to our organization.
For additional information about HECSE, please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
University of Illinois – Urbana/Champaign